Archive centreBarrow
ReferenceBA/ED
TitleEducation Committee
DescriptionBarrow School Board 1873-1903, Barrow Education Committees, salary and wages books, schools statistical returns, employment of school children records, registers of scholarships and awards, secondary schools admissions, GCE examinations results, meals provision, letting of schoool premises, Lancashire Education Committee, individual schools and colleges, School of Science and Art, Superintendent Registrar, printed pamphlets and publicity material, Education Act 1921, miscellaneous souvenirs, posters, newscuttings
Date1873-1972
Contextschools being subdivided into boys, girls, and infants departments:
Barrow Island
Biggar
Cambridge Street
Hawcoat
Higher Grade School
Holker Street
Oxford Street
Rawlinson Street
Roa Island
Roose
Thwaite Street
Vickerstown
Walney
This was in addition to a number of voluntary schools provided by the churches, including:
St James, St Paul, St Mary Roman Catholic, St George, St Patrick Roman Catholic, Lumley Street Roman Catholic and the British Schools.
From 1903, the functions of the School Board were transferred to the Education Committee of Barrow Borough Council. The number of schools continued to grow; the John Whinnerah Institute, opened in 1938, provided additional technical instruction, together with administrative offices.
After 1974, the Barrow Education Committee was abolished, and it's functions were transferred to Cumbria County Council.
Catalogue levelSubFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020