Archive centreBarrow
ReferenceBDS 59
TitleHigh Carley Hospital Special School, Pennington
Date1921-1959
Access conditionsSome items with restricted access due to personal information within. Please ask staff for details if you would like access
ContextHigh Carley Hospital Special School began as Oubas House Children's Sanatorium School. It was opened in 1928 by Lancashire County Council for the accommodation and education of tuberculous children who were treated at High Carley Sanatorium, Pennington near Ulverston.
The school and accommodation was based at Oubas House in Ulverston and remained there until 1950 when it moved into High Carley Annexe, becoming an annexe to High Carley Sanitorium. Previously some of these buildings had been used as the High Carley Infectious (or Isolation) Hospital.
The children's annexe, with education provided by High Carley Special School closed in circa 1975.
From 1950 Oubas House in Ulverston became a maternity home which closed in 1971.
Related materialRecords of admission and discharge of children to High Carley Annexe can be found at BTHOS 3/6/1/2 1949-1960.
Please note this item is subject to restricted access and cannot be produced other than by special arrangement with the hospital authorities
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsHospital schools
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019