Archive centreBarrow
ReferenceBTCAHA
TitleCumbria Area Health Authority
Date1930-1982
ContextFollowing the Local Government Act of 1929 the Poor Law Boards of Guardians were replaced with local authority committee, whilst the Poor Law Act of 1930 transferred hospitals from the Poor Law Unions to local authority committees.
Thus in 1930, the Ulverston number 1 Area Guardians Committee was formed as the local authority committee to oversee the administration of outdoor and indoor relief, infirmaries and institutions within the health division (which excluded Barrow Borough). The division was based in Ulverston and reported to the Lancashire Public Assistance Committee, in turn based in Preston. In Ulverstons case the institution was the Stanley Hospital (earlier known as the Ulverston Workhouse), whilst a separate body, the Ulverston Joint Hospital Board (constituted 1898), ran the High Carley Infectious Hospital, Ulverston until 1948.
The post war period from 1945-1948 brought a raft of social reforms including the 1946 National Insurance Act, the 1946 National Health Service Act and the 1948 National Assistance Act (which finally abolished the Poor Law). The establishment of the National Health Service created various tiers of responsibility.
Administrative control of hospitals were vested with Regional Hospital Boards and then within each region by Hospital Management Committees. Thus in the Furness area of Lancashire the Regional Board was based in Manchester with the Barrow and District Hospital Management Committee (later Barrow and Furness Hopsital Management Committee) as the local administration unit for hospitals within the area from 1948 to 1974 (see BTHOS 5). These hospitals included North Lonsdale Hospital, Roose Hospital and Risedale Maternity Hospital, Devonshire Road Hospital all situated in or near Barrow; with High Carley Infectious Hospital, Stanley Hospital and the Cottage Hospital all situated in or around Ulverston.
Administrative control of health services were vested with the Health Committees who oversaw the effective administration and running of the health service within each area. These were divided nationally by county lines and responsibility was confered in the County or Borough Councils of each area. Responsibility was broken down into divisional committees, with Lancashire having 17 divisions. The Furness area (excluding Barrow) became the Divisional Health Committee number 1 of Lancashire County Council and effectively took over directly from the Ulverston number 1 Area Guardians Committee in 1948. The committees were made up of representatives from each constituent authority, plus members from the county council, divisional education committee and the Hospital Management Committee and the Divisional Medical Officer of Health.
The administration of health services within the Borough of Barrow were provided by Barrow Borough Council under the Health Department, where the Medical Officer of Health was based.
In 1974 the National Health Service was completely restructured, with Regional Health Authorities taking on the role of both the Regional Hospital Boards and the County Council Health Committees. Each region was subdivided into District Health Authorities and so the Barrow and District Hospital Management Committee and the Divisional Health Committee number 1 of Lancashire County Council joined to become the Cumbria Area Health Authority. The Barrow and Furness district was part of the South West Cumbria District. A further re-organisation took place in 1982 where Barrow-in-Furness and South Lakeland area became the South Cumbria Health Authority
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsHealth authorities
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019