Archive centreBarrow
ReferenceBTHOS 1
Alternative ref.BTHOS NL
TitleNorth Lonsdale Hospital, Barrow-in-Furness
Date1880-1978
Extent5 boxes and 1 roll of plans
Access conditionsSubject to closure period of 30 years for administrative records and 100 years for medical records
ContextBarrows early Cottage Hospital, founded in 1866, was moved to the main site in School Street in 1875, becoming the North Lonsdale Hospital. New buildings were commenced in 1885, and were in use by 1887, with a laundry being added in 1897. It operated as a Voluntary Hospital, under a Council of Management, until 1948, when it was transferred to the Manchester Regional Hospital Board, following the National Health Service Act. Premises at 12-14 Church Street were utilised as a private nursing home in 1921. Discussion on building a new nursing home began in 1934, and this building opened in 1936. Following the opening of Furness General Hospital in 1984, the North Lonsdale Hospital premises were gradually vacated and they finally closed in 1989.
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019