Archive centreBarrow
ReferenceBTHOS 2
Alternative ref.BT/HOS/UDCH
TitleUlverston and District Cottage Hospital
Date1913-1935
Extent0.5 box
Access conditionsSome records on restricted access due to personal information within. Please ask staff for details regarding access.
ContextThe cottage hospital in Newton Street, Ulverston was built in 1872 and officially opened on 4 Jul 1873, largely through the efforts of Dr Henry Roberts, who later gave up his medical career to enter the church.
Prior to 1948 the hospital was supported by voluntary subscriptions and admission was by way of subscribers letter or payment. In 1948 the hospital became part of the National Health Service.
The Newton Street premises closed in 1971 and were subsequently demolished. A new Ulverston Hospital, 2011 known as the Ulverston Community Health Centre, which deals with local health care and outpatient services was built on Stanley Street, following the closure and demolition of the old workhouse buildings, which had become the Stanley Hospital, Ulverston - see relevant records: BTHOS 4 and BSPUU
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019