Archive centreBarrow
ReferenceBTHOS 4
Alternative ref.BT/HOS/USH
TitleStanley Hospital, Ulverston
Date1944-1966
Access conditionsSome records are subject to restricted access. Please contact staff at Barrow Archives for further details.
ContextDuring the 20th century the premises of the former Ulverston Workhouse were renamed as the Stanley Hospital, concentrating initially on the care of the acute and chronic sick, the elderly ambulant infirm, mentally subnormal and casuals. Following the closure of Newton Street Hospital in 1971, the name Ulverston Hospital was adopted, reflecting a broader range of services. The hospital closed in 2003.
ArrangementThese records were previously catalogued as BT/HOS/USH
Related materialIn 2011 these records were added to Cumbria Archive Service's electronic catalogue, CALM and the decision was made to create a new collection relating to the Ulverston Poor Law Union with the reference number BSPUU. Records from the Stanley Hospital Collection relating to the Ulverston Poor Law Union prior to the creation of the National Health Service in 1948 have been added to BSPUU. Records relating to Stanley Hospital post 1948 have been kept in the Stanley Hospital Collection which has been given the Reference Number BTHOS 4.
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019