Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceCQPBO
TitleBootle Petty Sessions
DescriptionPetty Sessions for Bootle Petty Sessional Division were held at Bootle and Millom on alternative Saturdays
Date1861-1922
ContextLOCAL MAGISTRATES COURT DIVISIONS Justices of the Peace developed from the Keepers of the Peace who were appointed by a commission under the Great Seal in 1277 and 1287. They had acquired their name by 1361, when a statute gave them the power to try minor offenders. Their duties were greatly extended under the Tudors. [Oxford Companion to Local and Family History]. Most of the more important work of the justices was conducted at the Quarter Sessions for each county. But informal meetings of a few local justices gradually developed into the Petty Sessions, which dealt with minor criminal proceedings. These early meetings were generally not well recorded, and the borderline between Quarter and Petty Sessions was not always clear-cut. But during 1828 Petty Sessions were first formally recognised within parliamentary legislation: the county justices were authorised to divide their areas into petty sessional districts and to appoint a local attorney to act as clerk.
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsAdministration of justice
Petty sessions
Courts

Show related name indexes

Show related place indexes

Persons
CodePerson/Corporate namesDates
NA140Bootle Petty Sessions; 1861-1936; LOCAL MAGISTRATES COURT DIVISIONS1861-1936
Places
CodePlace names
PAX172Bootle/Cumberland
PAX64Millom/Cumberland
PAX62Eskdale/Cumberland
PAX5Whitehaven/Cumberland
PAX9Gosforth/Cumberland
PAX87Dalton in Furness/Lancashire
PAX227Kirkby Ireleth/Lancashire
PAX772Broughton-in-Furness/Lancashire
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020