Archive centreCarlisle
ReferenceDS 15
Alternative ref.DS 92074
TitleUldale School
DescriptionIncluding:
Photographs of class groups, events and school buildings (1897-1990); deeds (1726-1915) minute books of the trustees and governors ((1726-1929); regulation schemes and appointments of new trustees(1839-1917); reports on school property (1839 and 1875); a short history of the school (1976); press cuttings (1960s-1990s); certificates of merit; school roll statistics (1860-1976); orders of service; Uldale School song; admission registers; log book; returns of attendance.

A grammar school was founded at Uldale in 1726 by Matthew Caldbeck of Ruthwaite, who bequeathed to it £100, to which was added £100, raised by public subscription among the parishioners. These sums were used to purchase freehold land from the rents of which the school was maintained. Further substantial legacies were left in 1802 by Thomas Thomlinson (who also endowed schools in Bromfield, Thursby and Wigton); £350 in 1868 by the former Rector, Revd. Jonathan Cape, £1160 18s and in 1891 his sister, Miss Mary Ann Cape, £326.

The old school could accommodate 60 children and had an average attendance of 40 in 1894. The following year a new school was built to accommodate 100 and attained an attendance of more than 80 children in 1912. It was always a mixed school for all ages, without a separate infants' department. For 47 years, from 1839 to 1886, the master was Charles Creighton. The master was appointed by a body of trustees or governors (seven or eight in the 1880s and 1890s but eleven in 1914) under the chairmanships of the rector.

After the Education Act of 1902, the managing body was reconstituted to include representatives of Cumberland Education Committee and the parish council but the Church of England continued to have the majority and the school remained a Church of England (Aided) School.

By 1936 the school roll had fallen to 42 and continued to decline in the late 1930s to 25 in August 1939. In September 1939 Uldale School received children evacuated from Newcastle and South Shields, together with some of their teachers, until June 1943. In July 1951 the school roll was 28 but it fell to 19 in September 1951 when the senior pupils were transferred to secondary schools in Wigton. During the 1950s the school roll rapidly rose, to a peak of 32 in 1954 and it stayed around 30 to the end of the decade but plunged dramatically to a low point of only 9 in 1964-1965. By 1969, numbers had risen again to 20 and to 27 in 1974. Uldale School's head teacher from January 1958 to July 1972 and again from January 1975 to August 1987 was Miss D F Foster. The school closed in 1990.
Date1726-1990
Related materialDS 5970
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019