Archive centreCarlisle
ReferenceDS 196
Alternative ref.DS 5202
TitleHutton Roof School
DescriptionDeposited at Cumbria County Library, Castle Street, Carlisle by an unknown depositor, 21 September 1984 and transferred to Carlisle Archives 28 September 1984. The original school at Hutton Roof, in the ancient parish of Greystoke and modern civil parish of Mungrisdale was established by Richard Richardson of Whamhead, who by indenture dated 10 September 1830 vested in trustees his existing school house and 123 acres of land, to provide education for poor children of the neighbouring parishes. The original trustees were the rectors of Greystoke, Caldbeck, Skelton, the vicar of Castle Sowerby, the curate of the chapelry of Mungrisdale and four lay gentlemen of the area.

The foundation deed laid down the rules and orders to be observed by the trustees, the master and pupils and the syllabus to be followed. The endowment was subsequently increased by £700 in government securities, to enable the school to provide free education for all children of the neighbourhood who wished to attend. These endowments and other payments which were to be made to other schools, together with a distribution of bread to the poor, were confirmed by the founder's will (proved 24 Sep 1838). Copies of the foundation deed and other records relating to Richardson's charity are to be found among the deposited records of Greystoke parish (PR 5/73-101).

After the 1902 Education Act the trustees and management of the school were remodelled but it remained a Church of England Voluntary Aided School throughout its life. The school building was destroyed by fire on the night of 30 March 1905, together with its contents, including the log book dating from 1872, books belonging to the master and pupil teacher and the rating and valuation records of Hutton Roof and Mosedale. two early attendance registers, one of which includes a register of admissions must have been kept outside the school building and survived the fire. The school was transferred to Hatcliffe on 17 April 1905, and after rebuilding, returned to Hutton Roof on 14 May 1906. At this time it had about 40 pupils, declining to about 30 by the mid 1920s, rising slightly in the 1930s and falling again to 30 in 1945, 25 in 1955 and as low as 18 in 1957.

Up until July 1961 Hutton Roof School taught pupils from 5 to 15 years of age, but thereafter the senior pupils were transferred to secondary schools in Penrith. Despite the loss of the senior children, the school roll continued to grow in the 1960s, partly as a result of closure elsewhere and reached 50 in 1965. It was therefore decided to build a new school, which was occupied on 3 April 1968 and officially opened on 10 May 1968. Ten years later the school had 45 pupils, but by 1982 the roll had fallen to 26 and was estimated to be likely to fall to 11 by 1986. Cumbria Education Committee decided to close the school and despite vigorous campaigning by local parents, the closure order was confirmed in May 1984 and the school closed on 18 July 1984, its pupils being allocated to Skelton, Threlkeld and Heskett Newmarket schools.
Date1839-1984
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019