Archive centreCarlisle
ReferenceDS 199
Alternative ref.DS 5501
TitlePenruddock School
DescriptionDeposited at Cumbria Archives by Mr P A Williams, Head Teacher, Penruddock School, 1 Nov 1985.

A school was established at Penruddock by Andrew Hudleston of Hutton John in 1756 and was rebuilt on another site in 1872 as a National School. After the passing of the Education Act 1902 the school was officially known as (Hutton Soil) Penruddock School, a Church of England Voluntary School under the control of 4 Foundation managers, including the Rector of Greystoke (who was also the sole trustee) and 2 Representative Managers, one nominated by Cumberland County Council and one by Hutton Soil Parish Council.

The school was enlarged in 1905 and at that time had about 90 children ranging in age from 4 to 14, under 3 teachers. In August 1936, as a result of the managers' inability to pay for necessary improvements, the school was taken over by the County Council as Hutton Penruddock Council School and the constitution of the managing body was altered so that the county council had 4 representatives and the parish council 2. By the 1950s the school was officially known as Penruddock County Primary School, an all-age school of about 100 pupils, but in September 1961 its senior pupils were transferred to secondary schools in Penrith, leaving about 60 children on its roll. By the 1970s the school roll had increased to about 80, but by the mid 1980s fell to half that number.
Date1874-1979
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019