Archive centreCarlisle
ReferenceDS 207
Alternative ref.DS 4884
TitleMaryport Church of England (Controlled) Junior School
DescriptionThis school was ordinarily the Maryport National School (Boys and Girls) in Eaglesfield Street, Maryport, reputed to have been built in 1847. However, the trust deed granting land for the building is dated 16 October 1848. Infants also were admitted to the Girls' School but were not seperately organised until 1887. The schools were enlarged in 1875 (a new building for the Girls' School) and 1887 (after which the infants were seperated into Jubilee Infants' School). There was also a National Infants' School in Nelson Street, built in 1872 and associated with Christ Church. All 4 national schools were managed by the same body until 1903.

In August 1900 the upper forms (standards 4-7) of the Boys' and Girls' Schools were amalgamated in the Boys School, under the headmaster, and the lower forms (standards 1-3) in the Girls' School, under the headmistress. The schools thus became a Mixed School divided into 2 age rnages, roughly at age 10. In January 1904 both senior and junior departments were placed under the headmaster. From about 1907 the school was officially entitled Maryport Church of England Mixed School, although it continued to be known as the National School. In Auguest 1943 the senior pupils were transferred to a new County Council school, Solway House, and Maryport Church of England School became a Junior Mixed School for the 7-11 age group.

In September1952 the school transferred from Eaglesfield Street to Camp Road.
Date1852-1980
ContextMaryport C E (Controlled) Junior School was originally the Maryport National Schools (Boys' and Girls') in Eaglesfield Street, Maryport, reputed to have been built in 1847. However, the trust deed granting the land for the building is dated 16 October 1848. Infants also were admitted to the Girls' School but were not separately organised until 1887. The schools were enlarged in 1875 (a new building for the Girls' School) and 1887 (after which the infants were separated into Jubilee Infants' School; see note below). There was also a National Infants' School in Nelson Street, built in 1872 and associated with Christ Church. All four National Schools were managed by the same body until 1903.

In August 1900 the upper forms (standards 4-7) of the Boys' and Girls' Schools were amalgamated in the Boys' School under the headmaster and the lower forms (standards 1-3) in the Girls' School, under the headmistress. The schools thus became a Mixed School, divided into two age ranges, roughly at age 10. In January 1904 both senior and junior departments were placed under the headmaster. From about 1907 the school was officially entitled 'Maryport C of E Mixed School, although it continued to be known as the National School. In August 1943 the senior pupils were transferred to a new (County Council) school, Solway House and Maryport C of E School became a junior, mixed school for the 7-11 age group. The school suffered bomb damage during the Second World War (1939-1945). In September 1952 the school transferred from Eaglesfield Street to Camp Road.

Note: Following extensions and alterations to Maryport National Girls' School, the infants who had been taught there were organised separately in august 1887 into a new school, named in commemoration of Queen Victoria's golden jubilee. Separate admission registers and log books were not commenced until June 1888. The School was closed on 25 July 1913 and the pupiles who remained of infant school age were transferred to Maryport Council School, North Street.
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019