Archive centreCarlisle
ReferenceDS 70
Alternative ref.DS 89021
TitleWarwicksland School
DescriptionThe earliest mention of the school at Warwicksland is in the Nicholforest Churchwardens' Accounts, 1844-1890. It is recorded that rate payers of the chapelry met at the school on 10th June 1846 to fix the parish rates and conduct other parish business (PR 177/7). It is also mentioned the following year 1847 in Mannix and Whellan's Directory of Cumberland. The schoolmaster was James Shield, living at Plain Knows and the school received £5 per annum from Lady Widdrington's Charity.

Lady Widdrington's Chairty is described in the Charity Commissioner's report of 1821 as it supported schools in Arthurnet and Kirkandrews parishes. Of the schoolmaster's listed for the latter parish 2 were in Middle Quarter, one in Nether Quarter, one in Moat Quarter and one in Nicholforest. However, no evidence has been found of the name of this schoolmaster nor where in Nicholforest the school was situated. In the Diocesan Visitation Call Book for 1821 no schoolmaster is listed under Nicholforest. The first one to be mentioned in these records is James Armstrong in 1826 (DRC5/106). No more schoolmasters are mentioned until 1832 when Thomas Lattimer is mentioned and therefater there is always an entry for Nicholforest. This would seem to place the date of the first Warwicksland school in the late 1840s. However, there was obviously a schoolmaster in the chapelry before that date.

The Churchwardens' Account Book contains entries relating to the payment of £2 0s 0d to the schoolmaster for keeping the parish books, starting in 1845. This lasted until about 1851. There is also an entry in 1846 'Paid James Dixon in part for school' which might refer to payment for building work. In 1848 there is a payment for a cart load of coals for the school (5s 11d), in 1863 a payment for whitewashing the school (5s 0d) and in 1865 a payment for repairing the school fireplace (2s 0d).

In the Carlisle Diocesan Survey of Schools 1854 (TL 542/6) the physical dimensions of the old school at Warwicksland are given (33'8" x 16') and the average attendance 33. There were also 2 private schools operating in the chapelry at Nookgate and Scuggate. John Wannop the incumbent who made the return thought that a Union of Schools would be desirable and he feared that the education of the rising generation is more likely to retrograde than improve if we are left to our own resources. He described the population of chiefly cottagers and small farmers with a sprinkling of yeomanry.

The old school appears to have been slightly altered about 1867 (Plan 1 TSE/1/36) but the major alterations took place after 1871 when the old school was incorporated into new buildings (Plans 2, 3, 4 TSE/1/36). The School Cash Book (PR 177/15) contains receipts of 1872 from the builders A Herbertson & Son of Galashiels. The earliest surviving records of the present school are the cash book and the first log book (DS 8902/1) both dating from 1874.
Date1874-1979
Extent1 metric box
Related materialDS 89074
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019