Archive centreCarlisle
ReferenceDS 71
TitleBishop Goodwin Memorial Church of England School
DescriptionThe original Bishop Goodwin Memorial School, situated on Blackwell Road, Carlisle opened for the admission of pupils on 5 September 1893 and was conducted as a mixed school. After the construction of additional buildings, a separate infants' department was opened on 1 October 1896 and the Mixed School was divided into seperate boys and girls departments on 9 January 1899. The Bishop Goodwin Schools were reorganised on 31 July 1939., when the junior boys and the senior girls were transferred to St John's Senior Girls' Council School, while the senior boys remained at Bishop Goodwin School until 4 January 1943 when they were transferred to the old Creighton School building in Denton Holme, renamed Morely Street Temporary Senior Council School. At the commencement of autumn term 1971 the Junior School was transferred to the Harold Street site to be followed in 1973 by the Infants' School.
Date1894-1983
Extent1 linear foot
ContextRecords deposited at Carlisle Archives by Mr D J Thomas, Headmaster of Bishop Goodwin Junior School, Harold Street, Carlisle, 18 May 1894 (Accession DS 5099).
Records deposited at Carlisle Archives by Miss P M Baty, Head teacher of Bishop Goodwin School, Harold Street, Carlisle, August 1992 (Accession DS 92054).
Records deposited at Carlisle Archives by Mrs Roberts-Green, October 1994 (Accession DS 94104)
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019