Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceSRDED/1/8
TitleGalemire Joint Fever Hospital
DescriptionA Joint Hospital Committee was established in 1879 by the Local Boards of Cleator Moor, Egremont, and Arlecdon and Frizington, together with Whitehaven Union Rural Sanitary Authority. Its objective was to create a maintain an institution for the isolation and treatment of patients suffering from infectious diseases. A temporary wooden hospital was constructed in 1880 at Galemire, Hensingham, on land bought from Messrs Lindow of Cleator. A stone built hospital, matron's house, disinfecting house and mortuary were later constructed. Harrington Urban District Council was later included in the joint funding scheme. The Joint Committee was responsible for overall management of the representatives of the relevant funding Council bodies. The first Medical Officer appointed was Mr James Syme, surgeon of Egremont, who held office until his death in January 1884. He was followed by J Eaton, M.D., and after his death in January 1905, was succeeded by his son William Stanforth Eaton M.B., Ch.B.
Catalogue levelSeries
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019