Archive centreKendal
ReferenceWDS 30
TitleSelside Endowed School
DescriptionLog books: 1873-1896, 1897-1908, 1909-1931, 1931-1973, 1973-1989; Admission Registers: 1873-1904, 1893-1962; New Entrant Book 1984-86; Attendance Registers 1985-88; Managers Minute books: 1903-1953, 1954-1986; Title deeds and related papers 1730-1924; Bulmers Directory undated C20
Date1730-1989
Extent7 series
Access conditionsAdmission registers, log books and punishment books subject to 90 (Secondary), 93 (Juniors) and 97 (Infants) years closure
ContextThe Headmistress, Mrs Field recounted some of the school's history: the school was originally a wooden building which burnt down in 1793 when a subscription was raised amongst the landowners in the chapelry (see plaque in school). Two trusts were thereafter in existence: Kitching and Harling and the School House Trust Fund. The school house, on the lh side before the farm and school are reached, was sold in the 1960s-70s. An article was published in a farming magazine referring to the 'School on the Fells'.
Related materialOther records relating to this school are deposited in the parish archives reference WPR 30.
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsPrimary education
Education
Schools

Show related place indexes

Places
CodePlace names
PAX663Selside/Whitwell and Selside/Cumbria/UK
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019