Archive centreKendal
ReferenceWDS 71
TitleAppleby County Primary School
DescriptionAppleby County Primary School was built in 1910 on Station Road, Appleby as the new Central Council School replacing the Appleby British School and the Bongate National Schools, opening on 17 October 1910. Bongate National School was erected in 1844 on a site given by the Earl of Lonsdale, with a master's house built in 1863 at the expense of Miss Ann Newell Hill of Castle Bank. Appleby St Lawrence British School was erected in Chapel Street in 1849 and enlarged in 1875. A third school, St Lawrence Girls and Infants School was built in 1871 on a site given by the Earl of Lonsdale in High Wiend and opened on 19 February 1872; it closed on 19 December 1963 and joined up with the Central Primary School.
Date1863-1973
Access conditionsAdmission registers, log books and punishment books subject to 90 (Secondary), 93 (Juniors) and 97 (Infants) years closure
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsEducation
Schools

Show related place indexes

Places
CodePlace names
PAX137Appleby/Appleby/East Ward/Westmorland
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019