Archive centreWhitehaven
TitleManor of Seaton (parishes of Bootle, Corney, Millom, Whicham, Whitbeck)
ContextThe Nunnery of Seaton or Seton occupied was sited in the northern part of the parish of Bootle, Cumberland, and was originally called the Nunnery of Lekely from the name of the land in the vill of Seaton it occupied. The remainder of the land of Lekely was owned by the Abbey of Holmcultram, with other lands in Seaton owned by the Prory of St Bees and the Abbey of Cockersand. The Nunnery was founded by Henry son of Arthur son of Godard, Lord of Millom, in the late twelfth century. The Nunnery was dedicated to the Blessed Virgin Mary and was a Benedictine foundation. It was a small and poor house, as is attested by donations to the house on account of its poverty.

Key dates in the history of the Priory and Manor of Seaton:
1227, 13 Nov: Archbishop Walter Gray grants appropriation of the Church of St Michael, Irton, to the Nunnery
1357, 1 Apr: Henry Duke of Lancaster grants appropriation of the hospital of St Leonard, Lancaster, with all its lands to the Nunnery
1459, 18 Oct: Thomas York, Abbot of Holmcultram, leased all its lands between Esk and Duddon called Lekely to the Nunnery for 12 years at 20s annual rent
1536: Nunnery dissolved. Valor Ecclesiasticus gives the gross revenue of the Nunnery as £13 17s 4d, comprising site of the priory, lands in Whitbeck and elswehere, rents in Lancaster, and spiritualities of the Church of Irton.
1537: former Priory leased to Hugh Askew, Officer of His Majesty's Cellar
1540: Askew petitions the Court of Augmentations that the priory had been reoccupied by the late prioress with retinue during the Northern Uprising, to the damage of £23
1542, 15 Mar: Grant by Henry VIII to Askew of the site of the former Priory of Seaton, other named lands in Bootle and Whitbeck parishes
1562: Sir Hugh Askew (knighted 1547) dies, leaving Seaton to his wife Dame Bridget Askew, daughter of Sir John Hudleston of Millom
1563: Dame Bridget marries William Pennington of Muncaster, esquire
1571: Inquisition Post Mortem of Sir Hugh Askew, finding his great nephew Henry Askew next heir. Seaton is conveyed by Henry and his relations to Robert Bindloss of Kendal for £600 with reservation to Dame Bridget for life (she must have come to an agreement for sale of the lands to herself)
1573: William Pennington dies
Early 17th century: Bridget dies, leaving Seaton to her second son John Pennington
1613, 15 Apr: death of John Pennington of Seaton
1620: William Pennington his son succeeds to the Seaton estates. Seaton descends in the Pennington of Seaton family, the cadet branch of the Penningtons of Muncaster
1665, 5 April: Dugdale's Herald's Visitation of Cumberland shows William Pennington of Seaton age 70, his son Miles Pennington age 34 and his son William Pennington age 2
1668: Miles Pennington High Sheriff of Cumberland
1702: Miles Pennington dies, succeeded by Robert Pennington of Bishop Auckland, Co Durham, High Sheriff of Cumberland 1706
1747: George Pennington infant son of Robert Pennington, Lord of the Manor of Seaton
1753, March: George Pennington dead; his sisters Margery and Elizabeth, Ladies of the Manor of Seaton
1753, 15 Sep: Margery Pennington marries Myles Sandys, esq., of Graythwaite, Lancs, at Lancaster
1757, 22 May: Elizabeth Pennington marries Farrer Wren, esq., of Binchester, County Durham, at St Michael-le-Belfry, York
1779: Manor of Seaton sold by Farrer Wren, Myles Sandys and their wives to John Pennington, Lord Muncaster, for £5291
1802, 24 Jun: Manor of Seaton sold by John Pennington, Lord Muncaster, to John Wakefield junior of Kendal, merchant, for £10,000
Related materialPennington of Muncaster collection at Cumbria Archive Centre, Whitehaven, holds various other deeds and papers relating to Seaton, Bootle.
Publication detailsSee 'The Askews and Penningtons of Seaton' by Rev C Moor, Transactions of the Cumberland and Westmorland Antiquarian and Archaeological Society, XI, 1911.
Catalogue levelSubSeries
Subject termsManors

Show related place indexes

CodePlace names
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020