Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYBSC/8
TitleBeckermet Mining Company
DescriptionIncludes: title deeds, minutes of committees, financial records and records of production, detailing amounts of ore brought to the surface in different royalties. There are also a large number of files relating to ore exploration and mine agent's business.
Date1898-1980
Extent5 series
ContextThe Beckermet Mining Company was formed in 1903, although the series of boring journals begins in 1898. It was taken over by the United Steel Companies in 1920, and then became part of the British Steel Corporation until the mine's closure in 1973.

Some records for the Beckermet Mining Company were previously held at YDB 40, which was originally deposited, along with records of the Millom and Askam Mining Company and the Ullcoats Mining Company, in the Carlisle Record Office in 1994 by Mr C F D Johnston and given the reference number DB 126. These records were transferred to Whitehaven in 1996, and those relating to the Beckermet Mining Company have been re-catalogued and re-numbered to be included with the records of the British Steel Corporation.
Catalogue levelSubFonds
Subject termsIron mines and mining

Show related name indexes

Show related place indexes

Persons
CodePerson/Corporate namesDates
NAX307Beckermet Mining Company; 1903-19201903-1920
Places
CodePlace names
PAX161Beckermet/Cumberland
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019