Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDFCM 2
Alternative ref.DFCM 8
TitleWhitehaven Wesleyan Methodist Circuit
DescriptionWhitehaven Methodist Circuit minutes, schedules, accounts, registers and other miscellaneous papers. Also includes various church, chapel and Sunday School records.
Date1717-2017
LanguageEnglish
Access conditionsAccess restrictions are based upon the directives of the Methodist Church's Archives and History Committee, dating from 1997.A summary of the closure periods which can be applied to the Methodist archives in our custody is:* Confidential/sensitive records 75 years* All other material, except that which has been made publicly available 30 years* Public material OPEN(includes circuit plans, newsletters, services of worship, reports of public meetings, photographs, books, pamphlets, leaflets, newspaper reports and financial accounts that have been made public)
ContextWhitehaven Wesleyan Circuit was formed in 1769 "but when Wesley returned in 1770 the preachers were having problems over money and over supplying all the attention to Societies that was required... Membership at that time [1769] was only 115 in Whitehaven with Societies of less than 20 at Cockermouth, Workington, Branthwaite, Caldbeck, Brackenhill, Wigton and Lorton: a total of 191... The Whitehaven Society contributed over a third of circuit income into the 1800s when Carlisle became a circuit and by which time Brampton was being missioned from Whitehaven." In 1791 mining subsidence reduced the chapel to rubble but factory owner James Hogarth gave his newly built chapel to the Methodists, plus a substantial amount of money and two manses. Methodism continued to grow into the early 1800s.
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020