Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDFCM 6
TitleWhitehaven Primitive Methodist Circuit
ContextThe "Society of Primitive Methodism" was established in 1810. "Generally speaking [Primitive Methodism] recruited at first from amongst dissatisfied Wesleyans, many of them from the poorer classes, and gave circuit and district power into the hands of lay representatives in the proportion of two laymen to one minister in official meetings. Otherwise, it's organisation and doctrine were all but identical to those of the Wesleyans." A Primitive Methodist Society was formed in Carlisle in 1822 and "within three years...had missioned 150 villages in the triangle between Penrith, Carlisle and Whitehaven". Whitehaven had a Primitive preacher from 1823. The Parson and White Directory of 1829 states that the Primitive Methodists occupy a chapel at Mount Pleasant, previously occupied by the Wesleyan Methodists after it had been given to them by James Hogarth. The Whitehaven Primitive Methodist Circuit was formed in 1840.
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020