Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDS 103
TitleBookwell School, Egremont
Date1879-1960
Context"There was a school at Bookwell in 1751... accommodation for 70 pupils... the school was enlarged in 1844 and again in 1872; and in 1879 the old school was transferred from the authorities of the Church of England to the new School Board, set up under the 1870 eduducation Act. It was completely demolished and rebuilt at a cost of £3,500 to accommodate 230 boys, 210 girls and 200 infants... from 1920 to 1955 Bookwell was divided into two separate school, one for junior and senior boys and the other for mixed infants: and the junior and senior girls were educated at the Central School on Main Street... After 1955 there were great changes. first Bookwell boys' and Central Girls' schools were integrated. Bookwell became a junior mixed school; and the Central School (now renamed Wyndham School) became a senior mixed school." (The Egremont Heritage) In 1965 Bookwell was modernised and reopened as a Primary School (infants and juniors mixed).
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019