Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDS 14
TitleSt Paul's Church of England (Controlled) School, Frizington
Date1875-1970
ContextA National School was established at Frizington in 1838 or 1839. A trust deed (12 November 1838) conveyed 14 perches of "Smithy Field" to 4 trustees who were 'desirous ...of building a School House in the township of Frizington ...for the diffusion of knowledge amongst the poor and other Inhabitants... upon the principles...of..."The National Society for promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church throughout England and Wales"'. The school house, which the deed indicates was already being built, was also to be used for divine worship(there was no church in Frizingtonuntil the building of St Paul's (1867-8)). Prior to the building of the church, the school was known as Howgate School. No records of the school exist prior to August 1875 when it was reopened after enlargement. The opening of the new schools of the Arlecdon & Weddicar School Board at Arlecdon and Frizington in 1878 had a temporary impact on the school roll. However, the school continued to expand and it was enlarged in 1888, 1894 & 1900. St Paul's School always seemed to be a mixed school. For a brief period (Nov 1898-Jun 1901) infants were taught in a separate department, but owing to insufficient numbers to justify employing a fully certified teacher, the infants were re-absorbed. By the Education Act of 1902, the school, though continuing as a voluntary school, came under Cumberland Education Committee
Related materialSee YDX 570/3/1 for Howgate School, Frizington, 1824-1838
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsSchools

Show related place indexes

Places
CodePlace names
PAX46Frizington/Cumberland
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019