Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDS 26
TitleMockerkin Endowed School
DescriptionMockerkin Endowed School register book, 1783-1889
Date1783-1896
Extent1 box
ContextIn 1781 Mary Mirehouse of Mockerkin, widow, endowed a school in Mockerkin "for the purposes of instructing 10 poor children in the principles of the Church of England and in reading the English tongue, writing and casting accounts, Greek and Latin, and other proper and useful branches of learning". She granted a plot of land in a field outside Mockerkin at a peppercorn rent and gave an endowment of £200 to find a master and other expenses. The 10 children were to be nominated by Mrs Mirehouse in her lifetime and afterwards by the trustees; 5 children from Mockerkin and 5 from Sosgill and Waterend. It was permitted for the master to take other pupils at a charge but the 10 nominees were to be educated free of charge. There was provision for book to be kept by the master recording the names of the children nominated and any orders of the trustees. The school building was enlarged in the 1870s and in 1897 it was described as a mixed school with an average attendance of 20. In Bulmer's directory of 1901 the school building and charitable trust are described, but without mention of pupils or teachers, so was probably closed by this time.

The record book of the master and trustees was the only known surviving record of the school until the deposit of the log book, and is quite remarkable in its age and detail.
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsSchools
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019