Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDS 27
TitleLoweswater C of E School
DescriptionLoweswater Mixed Voluntary C of E log books, register and papers, 1872-1949.
Date1872-1949
Extent1 box
ContextIn 1838 land on a site south of the Whitehaven-Keswick road in Loweswater was given by John Hudson of Ullock and a promise by John Marshall of Hallsteads to erect a school building at his own expense. Donations were received from local gentry and farmers. In 1897 it was described as Loweswater C of E Mixed and Infant School with an average attendance of 49. In 1907 the roll stood at 61 but had fallen to 29 in 1912, and from then on remained low. In April 1930 children over 11 were transferred to Cockermouth Fairfield Central School, and the school became a junior mixed and infants. In 1946 the roll had fallen to 6. In December 1948, despite well co-ordinated local opposition, the school was deemed unfit by modern standards and ordered to be closed. The remaining children were transferred to Lorton School.

Masters:
Jeremiah Atkinson (?)Apr 1840-July 1848
Jonathan Lang (Laing)(?)July 1858-Apr 1868
George White Apr 1868-July 1909
Eveline J Lennox Aug 1909-Sep 1912
Sarah Wilson Sep 1912-Dec 1923
Miss S Brown Jan 1924-Apr 1924
William Barnes May 1924-Jul 1926
David C Wren Sep 1926-Apr 1930
Annie Sowerby May-Jun 1930
Alice A James Jun 1930-Jan 1945
Daphne Watson Feb 1945-Dec 1948
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsSchools
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019