Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDS 37
TitleCrosthwaite Memorial Church of England School, Whitehaven
Date1928-1985
ContextPreceded by the Refuge School, originally a Sunday School, established in 1852 by voluntary subscription for waifs and strays, on land in James Street leased from the Earl of Lonsdale. In 1874 this became a day school managed by a committee of twelve trustees, connected with the Church of England. The school roll gradually grew. By the 1890s schools in Whitehaven were in need of improvement. In Sept 1898 Miss Mary Crosthwaite of Queen Street (sister of James Crosthwaite who had been treasurer of the school's management committee for 20+ years, prior to his death in 1876), agreed to give £5000 to build a new school. The Earl of Lonsdale donated a small site at Rosemary Lane, overlooking the old town/harbour, and the foundation stone of the new school was laid by Miss Crosthwaite on 11 Sept 1899. The new school, designed by George Dale Oliver, the county architect, to house 166 infants and 320 mixed junior and senior pupils, was opened on 19 Aug 1901 under the name Crossthwaite Memorial Schools. Following the Education Act 1902 the school came under the Whitehaven Borough Local Education Authority. In 1945 the school passed to Cumberland Education Committee. From this period the school roll was in decline. By Jan 1983 it was down to 36. The Primary Education Development Review conducted in 1983 suggested closure of the school, which received government approval in May 1984. The school closed in July 1985.
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsSchools

Show related name indexes

Persons
CodePerson/Corporate namesDates
NAX29Crosthwaite Memorial School
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019