Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDS 4
TitleCleator County School
Date1862-1983
ContextOriginally Cleator Mills British School, Mill Street, built in 1850, taken over by Cumberland Education Committee in 1905. In April 1906 the infants were transferred to the former Cleator National School, Kiln Brow (which had closed in 1897) and in August 1910 the mixed department to the Roman Catholic School on the main road through Cleator. The infants' building, built in 1854, was condemned in 1920 and the infants were transferred to temporary buildings on the mixed school site in January 1921. A separate log book and admission registers were maintained for the infant's school from 1906 until the mixed and infants' schools were amalgamated in January 1934. In 1952-1953 senior pupils were transferred to the school from Montreal and Keekle Terrace Schools so that the school comprised 2 infant, 2 junior and 5 senior classes. The senior pupils were transferred in October 1958 to Ehenside School leaving Cleator County School as a junior mixed and
infants' school until its closure in July 1983.
Related materialAdditional material in collection D/Lin
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsSchools

Show related place indexes

Places
CodePlace names
PAX160Cleator/Cumberland
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019