Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDS 42
TitleSt Michael's Infants School, Workington
Date1860-1987
ContextWorkington Church of England Free School, linked with St Michael's Church, was built c1860 in Cooke Lane (later Station Rd). Infants were taught in the Girls' School until Apr 1865 when a separate Infant department was created. The infants & girls were again joined in Jan 1870 but a separate Infants was once more created, in Jan 1877. In 1882 a new & separate Infant School building was built. During the World War II, the Infants housed evacuee children, initially from Newcastle & South Shields but later from London, the Midlands, & Barrow. As families moved from the centre of Workington to newer housing areas on the outskirts in the 1950s, numbers declined, but the school remained fairly large. The Boys' & Girls' Schools closed in Jul 1969. The earliest log for the Girls' School are included in the deposit by the Infant School as the amalgamation of the 2 schools between 1870 and 1876 led to confusion between the log books. The log book which was 1st used by the Girls' School from Sept 1862, was discontinued after Dec 1866, when the girls' teaching seems to have come under the charge of the master of the Boys' School, and was resumed in Jan 1877 as the Infant School log book. The original log of the Infants, stated in April 1865, was continued for the combined Girls' & Infants' School between Jan 1870 & Dec 1876, and for the separate Girls' School from Jan 1877.
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsSchools

Show related name indexes

Show related place indexes

Persons
CodePerson/Corporate namesDates
NAX27St Michael's Infant School
Places
CodePlace names
PAX43Workington/Cumberland
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019