Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDS 46
TitleNorthside School, Workington
Date1878-1977
ContextThe forerunners of Northside School were a Mixed and an Infants' School opened at North Side on 2 September 1878 by the Seaton and Camerton United District School Board. In November 1899 North Side became part of the Borough of Workington and control passed to the Workington School Board, replaced in August 1903 by the Borough of Workington Education Committee. The Infants' School was amalgamated with the Mixed School after July 1902 until 1 November 1907, and again from 1 April 1941. In 1946 Workington Education Committee was succeeded as the education authority by Cumberland County Council, which was in turn superseded by Cumbria County Council in April 1974.

The Mixed School was known through the years as Seaton and Camerton Board School, Mixed Department, then Northside Mixed (Council) School, Northside Junior Mixed and Infants' School and Northside County Primary School.

The Infants' School was known initially as Seaton and Camerton Board School, Infants' Department and subsequently Northside Infants' (Council) School.

One of the log books and some other records of the school have been damaged by fire.
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsSchools
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019