Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDS 5
TitleMontreal Church of England Junior School, Cleator Moor
Date1903-1980
ContextThe predecessors of the present school were Montreal Boys' & Girls' Schools built by John Stirling of the Montreal Iron Ore Mines, in 1865 or 1866, in Cleator Moor High Street. An Infant's School was added later, and the buildings were enlarged in 1875 & 1890. The schools were held by trustees and managed in conformity with Church of England principles. In January 1940 the Boys' and Girls' Schools were joined into a Mixed School, probably due to the problems of keeping separate organisation during wartime, given the numbers of evacuees (mostly from South Shields) to be housed. In November 1946 the buildings became unsafe due to subsidence, and the pupils had to be taught elsewhere: senior classes at Frizington Council School and from September 1950 in Cleator Moor Market Hall, juniors at Moor Row Council School, and infants in Cleator Moor Wesleyan Methodist Church Rooms. As the managers were unable to provide new schools or contribute half the building and maintenance cost (which would have enabled the schools to enjoy "voluntary aided" status), they accepted "controlled" status. New schools for the juniors and infants were built in 1950 on a Ennerdale Road site, acquired by Cumberland Education Committee for an intended secondary school, and these were ready by January 1951. Seniors continued at the Market Hall until 1952 and were then moved to other secondary schools, most to Cleator County School.
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsSchools

Show related place indexes

Places
CodePlace names
PAX44Cleator Moor/Cumberland
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019