Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDS 65
TitleMonkwray Junior School, Whitehaven
Description'Box of Time': records collected by school pupils to mark the millennium
Date1938-2000
Extent6 project folders
ContextCommenced as Whitehaven Colliery School in the 'Glass House' or glass bottle manufactory at Ginns, Whitehaven, which had been established in the 1730s by Walter Lutwidge. The business was acquired in 1739 by Sir James Lowther and the school commenced after the Earl of Lonsdale converted the building at his expense in 1853. In 1876, the school (known as the Earl of Lonsdale's School) transferred to new premises at Monkwray and Monkwray Junior School caters for children aged between 7 and 11 years old and is situated on Monkwray Brow. Most of the children transfer from Kells Infant School. The catchment area largely comprises Kells, Woodhouse and Greenbank.
Publication detailsSee 'Memories of Monkwray' by Margaret Crosby, Whitehaven News, 26 Jan 2006.
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsPrimary Schools
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019