Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDS 69
TitleWhitehaven Grammar School/ Whitehaven County Secondary School
Date1904-1972
ContextWhitehaven County Secondary School opened on 1 August 1908. It's premises were on Catherine Street, a site purchased with money realised from the sale of the Marine School. An account of the official opening is given in the Whitehaven News of 15 October 1908. The school accommodated boys and girls over 10 years of age who had passed the qualifying entrance examination.

By 1948 (County Council Education Committee minutes) the school had been renamed Whitehaven Grammar School. A new Grammar School, to replace the old one on Catherine Street, was occupied in August 1968. The school ceased to exist in 1984, when it combined with Overend and Richmond Comprehensive Schools to form a new, mixed comprehensive school, Whitehaven School.

School records which contain personal details of staff and pupils may have restricted access, which may affect your access to documents. This restricted access can protect information on named individuals until they reach the theoretical age of 100 years.

The collection includes some items deposited by a group of ex-pupils following a reunion and exhibition in 1999.
Related materialDH 8, DH 9, DH 12 and YDX 250 for other School records, and DH 7/1 for the School Roll of Honour (1914-1918). Local Studies files (Whitehaven Schools) contain supplementary information, & school magazines are at 36WHI.
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsSchools
Students
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019