Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDS 77
TitleWilson County Secondary School, Workington
DescriptionLog books (2) 1920-1967, colour slides circa 1960s
Date1920-1967
ContextWilson's School on Guard Street was originally erected in 1831 by Thomas Wilson of Workington as an infants' school and school of industry. His original endowment was later transferred to the Borough of Workington Education Committee and from Nov. 1894 the school was established as a Higher Standard School. This school was originally a mixed school for pupils who had reached a certain level of education in the ordinary elementary schools. From 1912 it was divided into separate departments for boys and girls and from 1918 its admission requirement of educational attainment was replaced by entry upon reaching 12 years of age although admittance by selective examination later returned.
The schools were subsequently re-organised into Workington Central Boys and Girls schools. A higher level of education was thus provided for children who were able to stay at school until they reached fifteen years of age, so completing a three-year course. In July 1932, the Central schools moved to new premises on High Street.
Workington Senior Boys School/ Wilson County Secondary School: The Guard Street school was, from 1932, used to accommodate boys who had previously attended Victoria Boys Senior School (which is why its first log book had been used by that school). At this point it was renamed Workington Senior Boys School and in 1949 it became Wilson County Secondary School. It closed in 1967
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsSecondary schools

Show related name indexes

Show related place indexes

Persons
CodePerson/Corporate namesDates
NAX73Wilson County Secondary School
NA29Guard Street School Workington
NA31Workington Senior Boys School
NA30Victoria Boys School Workington
Places
CodePlace names
PAX43Workington/Cumberland
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019