Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDS 8
Alternative ref.DS 93096/1
TitleFairfield Junior School, Cockermouth
DescriptionFairfield Board Schools (boys, girls and infants) were opened in April 1876. The girls' school log books survive from this date, but stop abruptly in December 1947. The boys' school has log books dating from September 1887. The schools were extended in 1887. The school received evacuees and teachers from Newcastle and South Shields in 1939. In August 1949 the senior pupils transferred to All Saints' School and Fairfield re-opened as a junior mixed school absorbing All Saints' Juniors.

Heads of the schools have included:

Boys' School:
James Black Jan 1874 - Jan 1894
Joseph Bowness Jan 1894 - Dec 1925
R Simon Jan 1926 - Aug 1949

Girls' School:
Miss M A Houstoun Apr 1876 - Dec 1878
Miss S J Mingay Jan 1879 - Jan 1890
Miss E Duggan Mar 1890 - Mar 1894
Miss Mary Scott Apr 1894 - Sep 1924
Miss M Peel Nov 1924 - Oct 1946
M Nelson Nov 1946 - Aug 1949?

Junior Mixed School:
R Simon Aug 1949 - Apr 1954
A A Hebson Apr 1954 - Post 1966
K France Pre 1993
Date1876-1974
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019