Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYDS 88
TitleWaberthwaite Primary School
DescriptionLog books (3), 1921-1996; admission register, 1911-1976; attendance registers, 1942-1991; summary attendance registers, 1942-1990; returns of staff and children, 1904-1987; school meals registers, 1955-1956; papers re proposed closure of school, 1982-1983;
Date1904-1996
Extent3 large boxes
Access conditionsRestricted access for 100 years on certain records due to personal information within. Please ask staff for details if you would like access
ContextThe Waberthwaite Parish School was mentioned in existence in the 1829 Cumberland and Westmorland Directory, and in the late 19th century directories the Waberthwaite and Corney Elementary School is mentioned having around 80-90 pupils. In the 1930s the Reverend Percy Parminters, Rector of Waberthwaite and Corney, and Chairman of the School Governors began campaigning for the building of a new school. The campaign proved divisive as many parents were concerned at the costs for building the new school. When the building was finished in 1938, the school managers refused to run the new school in protest at the debts with which the school was now saddled. The Rev Parminster sacked the Board of Governors and demanded that children attend the new school. However many parents continued to send their children to the old school or did not send their children to school at all. This stand-off between the two factions continued in stalemate until the Diocese of Carlisle agreed to take over the school and its debts. Thereafter a unified school was run in the the new building. In the 1980s and 1990s the school faced the threat of rationalization and possible amalgamation with other schools in the area.
Catalogue levelFonds
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019