Archive centreWhitehaven
TitleHarrington Harbour and Dock Board
DescriptionMinutes 1970-2006; constitutional papers, reports, correspondence and balance sheets.
Extent9 files
Access conditionsMinutes and financial information are on open access. Access to most other material is by permission of depositor only, particularly papers relating to appointment of Board members and employees and papers relating to individual boat owners.
ContextUp to 1867, the Curwen family worked Harrington Harbour and took any profits arising. In 1867 the Harbour was let to Messrs Bain and Paterson, ironmasters. When this lease expired in 1888, a new lease of 84 years was granted to the firms of James Bain and Company, Charles Cammell and Company Ltd, and the Moss Bay Hematite Iron and Steel Company Ltd. Under this lease a newly created Harrington Harbour and Dock Board were to be responsible for the management of the harbour. The Board of seven members were constituted of one representative of the Curwen Estate, and two representatives for each of the three companies. The Harrington Harbour Order of 1902 allowed the Board to construct and extend piers and deepen the harbour through a programme of works whose costs were to be recoverable through the rates charged to shipping, and also formally constituted the Board (James Potts, Curwen Estate Agent, was Clerk to the Board and also represented Alan Delancy Curwen). In 1909, Cammell and Co retired from the Board, and an additional representative was given to the other two companies in their place. The Board's monthly meetings terminated in May 1931 when the harbour was closed due to its purchase from the Curwen Estate by the United Steel Company Ltd. The first meeting of the reconstituted Board took place on 30 November 1970.
Related materialMinutes, papers and legislation relating to Harrington Harbour and the original Harrington Harbour and Dock Board can be found in the Curwen Family of Workington Hall collection (ref DCU/6), Cumbria Record Office, Whitehaven.
Catalogue levelFonds
Subject termsHarbours

Show related name indexes

Show related place indexes

CodePerson/Corporate namesDates
NA248Harrington Harbour and Dock Board; 1888-1888-
CodePlace names
NA21Harrington Harbour/Harrington/Cumberland
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2020