New Collections

Important and interesting records continue to arrive in our Archive Centres. We catalogue these and previously unlisted material, and make available these catalogues on CASCAT. Detailed lists are available for new additions to CASCAT during recent months for Barrow, Carlisle, Kendal and Whitehaven Archive Centres (PDF, 0.8MB-3.5MB). Here are some of the highlights from recent additions to the collections of Cumbria Archive Service.


   

Robinson family of Rock Cottage, Finsthwaite


Specifications and papers regarding the construction of Rock Cottage, Stott Park, Finsthwaite for William Robinson, 1882-1886, and improvement works for Miss Robinson 1930s-1950s; sale particulars for Rock Cottage to be sold at auction 1985; probate copy will of William Robinson died 1910; probate copy will of Esther Robinson died 1944; copy will and estate administration papers of Miss Roberta Robinson died 1985; Robinson family tree and family photographs late 19th-early 2oth century; 2 school exercise books of John Robinson 1865 and 1867; miscellaneous ephemera and news cuttings about Finsthwaite including An Account of the Finsthwaite Princess reprinted from Finsthwaite Parish Magazine 1922, and also about Benson Hall Farm, Scalthwaiterigg and High Biggarsbank, Selside which also had Robinson family connections.
View Record

Ullswater Masonic Lodge, No. 3297 Penrith (founded in 1908)

A collection of papers from two former members of the lodge (father and son); which spans the period of their Masonic careers, from 1919-1989. The collection contains meeting summonses; Installation programmes; correspondence and papers; souvenir brochures and byelaws. There are several name-rich series; alongside the notice of meeting and agenda, the meeting summons lists past masters of the lodge, past masters of other lodges and current officers. The Installation programmes also contain details of members, including candidate to be installed as Worshipful Master and list of present officers. An interesting detail of the Installation programme is the meal menu (Festive Board) and how the nature of the menu had changed over time. A typical 1930s menu was evocative of a more genteel age; very elaborate, often written in French and included several courses; starter, fish course, meat courses, dessert, cheese and biscuits, followed by port and cigars. By the 1980s this had become much simpler with fewer courses, typically, prawn cocktail or oxtail soup to start, mixed grill for main and Black Forest gateau for dessert! Additionally, there is an interesting meeting summons for an ‘Emergency Lodge’, dated May 1919, which was held to honour those who had served during the war. It contains a Roll of Honour, of members of the Lodge who had served or were currently serving in His Majesty's Forces. Two souvenir items enhance the collection, which comprise: a list of Members of Ullswater Lodge, since its foundation, 1933 and a programme for the Jubilee Celebration, 1908-1958. The latter contains a history of the lodge and provides context for the collection.
View Record

Farleton and District Ploughing and Hedging Association, 1908-1983


This collection includes minute books covering 1909-1983, cash books covering 1908-1983, and a hound trail minute book covering 1951-1954. There is also correspondence from 1968 to 1970 and lists of competition winners. The Association held competitions regularly and the minutes detail the planning that went into organising the events, which included first and second class ploughing, wheel ploughing, boys’ ploughing, gap walling, and hedging. The Association might have organised its first ploughing and hedging competitions in the 1880s but the earliest minute book in the collection begins in 1909. The Association appears to have stopped holding competitions after 1983.
View Record

Stirling's Infirmary, Jacktrees Road, Cleator Moor, 1867-2015

The infirmary was built on Jacktrees Road by Sir John Stirling in 1867, with four beds for the use of his miners. The infirmary was also used as an infectious diseases hospital before Galemire was built. The building was taken over by Cleator Moor Urban District Council, later part of Ennerdale Rural District Council when it was used as a school and child welfare clinic and by expectant mothers and the elderly. The County Council then ran a clinic from the site. In 2015, it was in use as a private house. This small collection comprises of an admission register and order book for groceries along with press cuttings about the history of the property and the future of the site. Stirling owned the Montreal iron ore mines. He gave money to local causes including St John's Church and Whitehaven Hospital. He was the brother-in-law of Thomas Ainsworth and initially worked with him in the flax industry.
View Record
Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021