Archive centreWhitehaven
ReferenceYTSR/1
TitleShips registered at Whitehaven
ContextStatutory registration of British ships in the outports was introduced by the Shipping Act of 1786 and at present compiled under the Merchant Shipping Act 1894. The registers constitute a document of title and provide full details of ownership, dimensions and history of each ship. From 1786-1838 there were only two ports of registry on the Cumbrian Coast, as far as the Duddon, namely Carlisle and Whitehaven. Maryport and Workington became separate ports of registry in 1838 and 1839.

Records with former reference TRS 2 were Fishing Boat Applications for exemption from various provisions of the Merchant Shipping Act 1883. Owners of trawlers on voyages of less then 7 days were exempted from entering into contracts with their crew and from making reports to the Mercantile Marine Office. They were required, however, to send in a monthly list of cerw and crew changes. These were included with their applications. YTRS 1/436a was a running agreement giving an account of voyages and crew. These were concluded by fishing boats of 25 tons and upwards.
Related materialSeparate registrations at Barrow began in earlier registrations should be looked for in the Lancaster registers at the Lancashire Record Office, Bow Lane, Preston. The Barrow registers are at the Cumbria Records Office, Duke St, Barrow.
Catalogue levelSeries
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2019